Our skin is the largest organ of the human body. It’s made up of water, protein, lipids, and various chemicals and minerals. For an average-size person, their skin weighs about six pounds. Our skin is in a constant state of renewal, fully regenerating itself every 27 days. The skin provides our first line of defense against infections and germs. But it’s also fully exposed to the ultraviolet radiation of the sun, along with other environmental elements.
It is important to take care of our largest organ to keep it healthy and free from issues such as skin cancer. At the Optimization Centre, we provide various non-surgical treatments to help keep your skin looking its best. That includes offering the full line of ZO Skin Health products.
Why is skin care so important?
Considering all that your skin does for you, keeping an endless stream of invaders at bay and protecting every other part of your body, you need to give it some respect. Of course, that entails wearing sunscreen to keep skin lesions and cancer from forming. That means checking moles and other growths on your skin.
But it also involves a daily skin care routine, and that’s where we can help. Taking care of your skin not only helps keep it healthy, it also helps keep it looking younger and more vibrant. The way your skin will look 10 or 20 years from now depends on how well you care for it today. Prevention is usually an easier route than treatment, and that’s especially true of your skin. Protecting it today means you’ll have much less to deal with down the road, and that protection comes from your skin care routine.
What is a good skin care routine?
Skin care routines vary, but there are some elements that are in every effective routine. First, it’s important that you match the skin care products you use to your skin type. For instance, if you have oily skin, the last thing you want is moisturizer with oil in it.
At Optimization Centre, we can help you with that. We’ll determine the type of skin you have. From there, we can point you to our various products that can help keep your skin in tip top shape.
Here are the components of a good skin care routine:
- Cleansers — You should wash your face twice each day with a cleanser that matches your skin type. If you have dry skin, your cleanser should not have alcohol, for instance.
- Toners — Toner comes next. Toners help calm and smooth your skin, and they replenish some needed nutrients.
- Moisturizers — Moisturizers are a given for everyone. Daytime moisturizers should have sun protection built in. Nighttime moisturizers won’t have sun protection. It’s a myth that those with oily skin shouldn’t use moisturizer.
- Sunscreens — This is the single most important aspect of skin care. The sun ages your skin faster than all of the other factors, such as nutrition, combined. The days of putting on baby oil and baking your skin are ancient history, and there are a generation of people with prune-like skin to show you why. Sunscreen needs to be broad spectrum (meaning it covers both UVA and UVB rays), and it should be SPF of at least 30. Don’t go crazy with SPF, though; anything over SPF 50 is simply wasting your money and not providing any additional protection.
- Exfoliators — Exfoliation is the process where our skin is constantly shedding and regenerating. Exfoliators simply push the process a little. These are not a required element, but they are very popular. They come in after cleansing your face, but before applying moisturizer. They aren’t a daily thing.
How will my skin benefit from the proper skin care routine?
There isn’t a downside to taking better care of your skin by adopting a daily skin care routine. That goes for women and men. The days of craggy, wrinkled, sun hammered skin being a symbol of attractive masculinity are long gone, kind of like the Marlboro Man dying of lung cancer.
Here are some benefits of having a skin care routine:
- You’ll know what to expect — Everything that is done well is done regularly. Exercising, playing the trumpet, whatever. When you follow a daily skin care regimen, your skin and body adjust to it and benefit. You’re giving your skin the little bit of help it needs, boosting nutrients, helping with exfoliation, or protecting it.
- Slows aging — Our skin is in peak health at our 18th birthday. It remains in good shape through our 20s, but then things begin to slow down. We produce less collagen, and the ability of the skin to regenerate itself also slows. A skin care routine helps keep your skin from showing your age, and then some.
- Keeps your skin healthy — A daily skin care routine keeps your skin healthy, fresh, and nurtured. This makes it much more resistant to injuries, irritation, and the like. Plus, it heals more quickly, and is more resistant to unwanted issues such as pimples.
- It’s good for you — Taking care of your skin is just a part of taking care of the whole you. At Optimization Centre, we help our patients look and feel their best, and taking care of your skin is just a part of the overall plan.
- Helping your skin type — If you’ve been oblivious to exactly what type of skin you have, you could simply be making it harder on your skin. For instance, if you have oily skin and you’re using a non-descript moisturizer with oil in it, that’s basically creating an oil slick. It’s important to know your skin type and treat it accordingly, as that will keep it looking its best.
- Skin care is preventive care — A daily skin care routine is the most reliable way to maintain your skin’s health. Plus, healthy skin is an effective preventive measure against various skin issues and other health problems.
What is ZO Skin Health?
ZO Skin Health is a specialized line of skin care products developed by renowned dermatologist Dr. Zein Obagi. ZO Skin Health is only available through medical professionals. These products are of the highest quality and are designed to augment the appearance of the skin, while protecting it from the environment and the effects of natural aging.
What are the benefits of ZO Skin Health?
Dr. Obagi founded ZO Skin Health in 2007 to provide both physicians and patients with innovative and effective skin health solutions. There are two sides to ZO Skin Health: ZO Skin Health and ZO Medical. ZO Skin Health products maintain the results of therapeutic treatments and provide daily skincare and protection from the environment. ZO Medical products have been optimized to treat a range of skin disorders and chronic conditions.
How do ZO Skin Health products work to protect and improve my skin?
ZO Skin Health is unusual in skin care products because it looks beyond the daily appearance of the skin. While these products improve your skin today, they also are formulated to achieve long-lasting changes in your skin cells to address damage in all skin layers, stimulate healthy skin cell regeneration, correct existing flaws, and slow skin aging.