Gynecomastia is a condition which causes the enlargement of breasts in boys and men. It is also referred to as “female like breasts”, “male breasts”, or “manboobs” which affects up to 60 percent of the male population in their lifetime worldwide. This condition can be a cause of embarrassment, of bullying in schools, in the locker room, and in the boardroom.
Before and After Photos
Gynecomastia can be caused by many things including:
* Poor weight control
* Use of Anabolic steroids which can block testosterone production and shift the * balance of testosterone to estrogen . This phenomenon will then stimulate the growth of breast tissue. This is commonly seen in body builders who will often feel the need to perform more chest exercises as their condition worsens as breast tissue grows.
* Genetics – Klinefelter Syndrome
* Hormone Imbalances
Hormone Changes exacerbated by the use of steroids in poultry, as well as, the large use of genetically modified soy used in our food. The plant compounds, phytoestrogens/isoflavones resemble estrogen and are disruptors to our bodies.
Drug Use which causes Hormone Changes – The drugs, such as cannabis can affect the pituitary, thyroid, and adrenal glands, and the reproductive system.
* If you are being bullied due to the appearance of your chest
* If you feel self conscious and don’t go shirtless at the beach or while in the pool
* If you feel that you have puffy areolas or nipples that protrude
* If you feel you walk around with your shoulders hunched over and/or often wear a backpack to conceal your breasts
* If you feel you need to wear an undershirt under your polo shirts or dress shirts in order to hide your breasts
The best way to determine if you are a candidate is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Gregory Albert MD, who is an American Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience treating mild to severe gynecomastia via male breast reduction procedures which can be performed under local or general anesthesia depending upon the individual and their health history. During the consultation you will be able to view our male specific before and after book to see Dr. Albert’s extensive experience treating Gynecomastia patients. After the initial consultation you will be scheduled to come in for a preoperative appointment to plan for your gynecomastia reduction surgery in our surgical suites.
Dr. Albert has extensive experience treating gynecomastia and has been refining his techniques in male breast reduction surgery over the past 20 years and having done surgery. Dr. Albert surgically treats the gynecomastia by using a combination of special liposuction techniques and by reducing the glandular fatty breast tissue through minimal incisions. Every patient is unique as is every surgery. If a more extensive gynecomastia reduction surgery is necessary, Dr. Albert may remove excess skin, but will still maintain minimal incisions due to the skins ability to contract. The main consideration for Dr. Albert’s technique is that a patient can feel comfortable going shirtless after the gynecomastia surgery is complete.
Dr. Albert has found that many patients with gynecomastia have a weak rib cage or are uneven to the extent of having a pectus deformity which does not allow the patient to have the support for a masculine chest. The optimal result may include the addition of volume to recreate contours of the pectoralis muscle. Therefore a patient may benefit from having fat transferred to the chest or from precise placement of pectoral implants for a more contoured and masculine chest.