GYNECOMASTIA - gyn·e·co·mas·ti·a /ˌɡīnəkōˈmastēə/
Gynecomastia is a condition which causes the enlargement of breasts in boys and men. It is also referred to as “female like breasts”, “male breasts”, or “manboobs” which affects up to 60 percent of the male population in their lifetime worldwide. This condition can be a cause of embarrassment, of bullying in schools, in the locker room, and in the boardroom.
Q & A
- Poor weight control
- Use of Anabolic steroids which can block testosterone production and shift the balance of testosterone to estrogen . This phenomenon will then stimulate the growth of breast tissue. This is commonly seen in body builders who will often feel the need to perform more chest exercises as their condition worsens as breast tissue grows.
- Genetics – Klinefelter Syndrome
- Hormone Imbalances
- Hormone Changes exacerbated by the use of steroids in poultry, as well as, the large use of genetically modified soy used in our food. The plant compounds, phytoestrogens/isoflavones resemble estrogen and are disruptors to our bodies.
- Drug Use which causes Hormone Changes – The drugs, such as cannabis can affect the pituitary, thyroid, and adrenal glands, and the reproductive system.
- If you are being bullied due to the appearance of your chest
- If you feel self conscious and don’t go shirtless at the beach or while in the pool
- If you feel that you have puffy areolas or nipples that protrude
- If you feel you walk around with your shoulders hunched over and/or often wear a backpack to conceal your breasts
- If you feel you need to wear an undershirt under your polo shirts or dress shirts in order to hide your breasts
It is important to choose an American Board Certified Plastic Surgeon such as Dr. Gregory Albert who also has extensive experience treating pediatric to adult patients and professional athletes to weekend warriors.